Saturday, July 7, 2012

Heroic Attempt to fix Ipod touch Second Generation

It been weeks since I have done any DIY stuffs. Due to the bore-some, I decided to repair my 4-year old Ipod touch that has a faulty headphone jack. Having watched many online videos and read many online instructions, I think I am confident to repair the Ipod touch myself. So, I went online and order a set of Ipod touch repair kits and OEM audio jack. After 2-week of waiting, they are finally here. 



Just cut things short, here is one of the video guides I had watched.

The basic of the repair is simple. Remove the digitizer, lift the LCD, unsolder the headphone jack and replace with a new one. Sound easy right?

Here is what happens after 1 hour.

First I broke the digitizer when I tried to remove it from the metal case. The digitizer is tightly inserted until the plastic removal tool was broken before the digitizer was lifted up. So I was forced to use a harder tool that did not do any good on the digitizer. The tool I used had successfully lifted the digitizer, but at the same time cracked the digitizer. I checked online and realized a new digitizer costs around AUD10, So I thought maybe its worthwhile to continue the repair. When I tried to lift the LCD panel, unequal pressure put stress and damage the centre part of the screen. A new LCD with digitizer now will cost AUD30. Having broken both parts, I am not sure if I can replace both of them flawlessly even with the new parts. Considered a new Ipod touch only costs AUD200. I decided to give up on repairing.

Lesson for myself, just because you like DIY, does not mean you can do everything yourself. Sometimes, its easier said than done. So leave the jobs for the professional.

Look on the bright side, it gives me more reasons to get an Iphone.   


No comments: